Lee Priest is an Australian ex IBBF bodybuilder who competed for 16 years and he is currently the NABBA Mr. Universe. He took home this title after 7 years of not competing and he definitely knows his stuff when it comes to nutrition.
During competition he tends to follow this nutrition strategy:
- He consumes protein six times a day and every three hours. He eats lots of lean steak, chicken breast, tuna, eggs and whey protein
- He only eats 2 complex carbs per day such as rice, potatoes, pasta, oatmeal and bread
- He consumes one fruit per day such as bananas, apples, oranges and cantaloupes
- He eats lots of broccoli, asparagus and green beans and uses these as meal fillers
- He performs 45 minutes of cardio before he eats breakfast.
Lee Priest is infamous for his off season bulking and he can go well over 65 pounds of his competition weight. Regardless of this he shows up on competition day, all ripped up and full of hard earned muscle. He follows the strict diet above to strip down and the cardio before breakfast which is the ultimate fat blaster. Therefore, this strict regime is in place because Lee is a notorious dirty bulker that has been knows to eat a 21 piece KFC chicken bucket on a daily basis. Let’s explain what dirty bulking is.
Dirty bulking is a strategy that is used by people who don’t care about the calories and types of foods that they are firing into their bodies. Many of the foods are low in nutritional value and many are high in unhealthy fats, carbs and calories.
These foods are often convenient and easy to consume e.g. potato chips and pastries. The main benefit of this type of bulking is that you achieve your daily target of calories and macros very easily. Due to its high calorific and marco content many people begin to gain % body fat very quickly.
You do save time when you dirty bulk because there is little or no preparing food and the more rapid the food supply the quicker that you will bulk up. There are no limits and boundaries and there are no hard and fast rules for dirty bulking. Just eat what you want, when you want to eat it!
The Flip Side of Dirty Bulking
There are some downsides to dirty bulking and these are as follows:
- You will gain % body fat very quickly because you are eating in an unhealthy manner. Even if you are pumping out some compound resistance movements and cardio at the gym
- You will start to look puffy and feeling bloated. This is impossible to avoid and is associated with weight gain.
- It can zap your energy and make you feel drained
- It can have a negative impact on both your mental and physical health
- Cause unstable insulin levels which can actually be counterproductive for muscle mass gain
- Due you to eating high fats and sugars could lead to you finding it difficult to break the cycle when cutting up.
This whole nutritional strategy works for Lee Priest regardless of the downside of dirty bulking. Therefore, who are we to judge!